My (Current) Top 10 Films of 2023
Here is, what currently stands as, my favourite film of 2023. I’m pretty indecisive about the ordering here but it is worth noting that I am basing this on my personal enjoyment of the films. Also please bear in mind I still have lots on my watch list (listed at the bottom of this post) so if there are any big ones I seem to be missing that’s probably why. Perhaps I’ll update this later once I’ve had a chance to watch more.
So, let’s go…
- Barbie ~ This is undoubtedly the movie of the year. It balances comedy and depth perfectly and has been so powerful in making women and girls everywhere celebrate themselves and each other. Just incredible!
- The Little Mermaid ~ I don’t think this film got the love it deserves. It is so beautiful and so feel-good. Halle is a perfect Ariel and Jonah is a great Prince Eric. I could watch this a million times over.
- Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse ~ I cannot get over how good the animation is in the Spider-Verse films, it blows my mind. This is so vibrant and fun! I’m usually not a big superhero film fan but this has my whole heart.
- Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour ~ Ignoring the fact that the screening I went to of this consisted of the most boring people ever, this is so much fun. It’s extremely well produced and combined with Taylor’s immense talent makes it such a special experience. See you in June, Tay Tay!
- Theatre Camp ~ I went into this one not really knowing anything about it and was so pleasantly surprised by it. It’s so funny and deserves a lot of attention. I just bloody love a mockumentary. What an incredible directorial debut.
- Saltburn ~ The film that everyone is talking about right now! I don’t even have the words to describe this film but I thoroughly enjoyed the rollercoaster that it is
- Scream VI ~ I am a big fan of the Scream franchise and this one did not disappoint. Jenna and Melissa were both great in this and it was so much fun to see Ghostface in New York City.
- Asteroid City ~ Wes Anderson has successfully created another beautiful, absurd and unique film with this one. I wish I could exist in one of his worlds. The alien is also one of the best aliens I’ve ever seen in film. (Btw if you like Wes-Anderson-inspired art, I have some here in my shop)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 ~ Honestly I can’t remember this one particularly well because I watched it so long ago (that’s the fault of my terrible memory not the quality of the film) but, I remember it was a lot of fun and a good continuation from the first two films.
- Totally Killer ~ This one is a fun, campy, comedy, slasher which is a genre that I love to watch! I definitely recommend giving this a watch.
A few honourable mentions:
- May December
- Sitting in Bars with Cakes
My 10 most anticipated still to watch from 2023:
- Poor Things
- Past Lives
- Renaissance: A Film by Beyonce
- The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
- Killers of the Flower Moon
- No Hard Feelings
Damn, I’d better get myself to the cinema – I can’t wait to see how much these mess up my top 10 list! If you’re interested here’s my Letterboxd list for 2023.